Coconut milk is a great option to use for everyday drinking and can be substituted for dairy in recipes. There are many packaged coconut milks on the market but it’s also tasty and easy to make your own. Coconut milk should be consumed within 3-4 days. A 1/3 cup serving (per meal) of coconut milk is low FODMAP per the Monash app.
Yield: 6-8 servings
1 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut (“Let’s do organic” brand is recommended)
6 cups boiling water (approximately)
1-2 Tablespoons Clover honey (optional – depending on desired sweetness)
1-2 teaspoons vanilla (optional)
1 nut bag for straining
- Add 1 cup shredded coconut to a heat safe blender.
- Pour boiling water over coconut until blender is 3/4 full.
- Add one tablespoon clover honey if desired.
- Let sit for 15-30 minutes or until lukewarm.
- Add vanilla if desired.
- Blend on high for one minute.
- Over a bowl, strain the coconut milk through a nut bag. Squeeze any liquid out of the bag until the coconut is mostly dry.
- Pour coconut milk into a pitcher or mason jar.
- Consume within 3-4 days.